Friday 4 March 2011

The Best Movies of 2011


Last Updated - September 15, 2013.

This list contains all of the films that I rated 7 and higher of the year 2011.

Unlike U
Documentary
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

One of the better documentaries, reminds me a little bit of last year's Exit Through the Gift Shop for obvious reasons. Basically it's about "trainwriting" in Berlin. It feels like the maker of the film must be close to the sprayers because he really cares to show their side of the the story. It's all about art and freedom.


Children...
Crime/Drama/Thriller
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

It's not that much different from other films of its kind but like many others, it's based on true events, which makes it so much more puzzling afterwards. The score is fantastic and fits perfectly.


I Wish
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

Yet another wonderful film by Hirokazu Koreeda (Still Walking, Nobody Knows). I had the same warm feeling while watching his 2009 film Air Doll but this one is much more uplifting and joyful. It has a lot to say even though it seems more accessible than his previous work.


Elena
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

Excellent camera work once again, a real pleasure to watch. Notably the setting near the end when the boys meet outside before they cross the road. You can clearly tell that it's directed by Andrei Zvyagintsev just like The Return and The Banishment.


The Day He Arrives
Drama
My Rating - 9/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2011.


Arirang
Documentary/Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

A little look inside the psyche of the director Kim Ki-Duk. I wouldn't call myself a fan but I did enjoy many of his films, especially 3-Iron, Time, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring. You should check out at least some of his work before watching this one although I do think that people who have never even heard of him might enjoy it.


The Mill and the Cross
Drama/History
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

Exquisite and mesmerizing portrayal of The Way to Calvary. I highly doubt that you will see anything like this today.


Wasted Youth
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2011.


Loverboy
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

If you like last years If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle than you definitely have to watch this too. Many of the same people were involved in this films, the leading actors are the same too but of course it's a completely different film.


Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
Crime/Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

The beautiful images will stick with me for a while, especially the first half of the film. One can also not forget the scene when the charming daughter serves the drinks at night, the look on all of their faces when she comes up with the light is ideal.


She Monkeys
Drama/Sport
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2011.



The Turin Horse
Drama
My Rating - 10/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2011.


Sidewalls
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

I didn't expect anything special but it surprised me at times, an enjoyablee little film.


Le Havre
Comedy/Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

Easy to tell that it's made by Aki Kaurismäki, his style definitely stands out. I recommend checking out some of his other films like Shadows in Paradise.


Polisse
Crime/Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

Not your typical melodrama, exceptional acting and a great feel of realism.


Underwater Love
Drama/Fantasy/Musical
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

The dance scenes remind me a little bit of Tsai Ming-Liang's film The Wayward Cloud, which is great. Shot by Christopher Doyle so it's obviously visually stunning.


Las Acacias
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2011.


The Good Son
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

The film is all over the place but mostly in a good way, I'm sure that it was done on purpose. It's all been seen before but it works the way it's mixed together. The evening shots deserve a mention too.


Sleeping Sickness
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

This reminds me of Weerasethakul's Tropical Malady, definitely the last 15 - 20 minutes. It also takes more or less unexpected turns.


The Island
Drama/Romance
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

I didn't realize that the female lead is Laetitia Casta from Tsai Ming-Liang's Face, there's something about her. I was quite certain that this is going to be another typical romance/mystery film after the first 40 minutes but thankfully I was wrong. I'm assuming that this was some kind of an experiment.


Play
Crime/Drama
My Rating - 9/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2011.


Weekend
Drama/Romance
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

I'm surprised to see something so good by Andrew Haigh who has been involved in the making of so many terrible films. It is partly clichéd but that's alright. I quite enjoyed those few bike scenes.


The Salesman
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

Snowy white small town, the location alone is adorable but that's of course not all. A tiny bit predictable here and there but the story as such is not what the focus is on anyway.


Absent
Drama/Thriller
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

Experimental like She Monkeys, at least that's what it reminds me of. It's not a thriller in the common sense at all but the music is what makes it seem like one so it's more of an overtone.


Outside Satan
Drama
My Rating - 10/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2011.



Jess + Moss
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

I took a risk by watching this but I'm pleasantly surprised. Needless to say it's visually stunning and will probably stick with you for a while.


10+10
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2011.


Harvest
Drama
My Rating - 9/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2011.


Combat Girls
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

I have seen a few similar films, it's no rarity but this one is still a good achievement, definitely a great cast.


Whores' Glory
Documentary
My Rating - 10/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2011.


Out of Bounds
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

A very simple but good film. It obviously reminds me of last years How I Ended This Summer because of where it takes place.

 
Urbanized
Documentary
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

Quite interesting documentary about cities.



Breathing
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

Directional debut by Karl Markovics, I've seen his face before. Similar style to last years The Robber but this one is deeper, whether that's a good thing or not is for you to decide.



Above Us Only Sky
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

An interesting little mystery.


Tokyo Oasis
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

Strange film, now when I think about it, it reminds me a little bit of some of Jia Zhangke's work.


Michael
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

Directional debut by Markus Schleinzer, similar to Karl Markovics's Breathing (both great first films). The scene at the dinner table is hard to forget.


Wetlands
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

The very first scene reminded me of Outside Satan. There's so many beautiful shots in the countryside just like in Harvest but much greener.


This Is Not a Film
Documentary
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

I've seen most of Jafar Panahi's films. Somehow this simple documentary filmed in one apartment for the most part turned out to be quite captivating. In some ways it's similar to Arirang. I especially enjoyed the elevator scene.


Stopped on Track
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

I've obviously seen similar stories told but this one is strangely realistic and likable.



Beauty
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

This film truly is a beauty.



The Invader
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

Looks like The Invader is the first feature film of Nicolas Provost after many short ones. I definitely enjoyed the beautiful camera work and the life of "Mr. Obama" captured me.


Hut in the Woods
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

A simple film, sometimes too simple but I still enjoyed it in the end.


Vampire
Drama/Horror
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

This film proves that the director of a film is the most important part and makes it what it is, especially when it's somebody as unique as Shunji Iwai. I don't care for any of the Hollywood actors and I would usually never consider watching any films featuring them but I'm glad I made this exception.


1 comment: