Friday 4 December 2009

The Best Movies of 2009


Last updated - August 17, 2012.

This list contains all of the films that I rated 7 and higher of the year 2009.

In the order I saw them:

Teenage Dirtbag
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

A gem, I did not expect to see something like this in 2009. No, it's definitely nothing original, it's actually the most unoriginal story you could think of but that didn't bother me one bit. They just don't make films like this anymore. It has a 90s vibe (it takes place in the 90s), which is one of the main reasons I like it. I watched it for a second time the day after I saw it because it's just that good.


Big River Man
Documentary
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

Great man, great film.


Welcome
Drama
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

This film is thought-provoking and compelling, mainly because it's an ongoing problem.


Tony
Drama
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

In my top 10 of 2009.


Slovenian Girl
Drama
My Rating - 7/10
IMDB

Appealing with a dark edge. An nteresting look on prostitution.


The Maid
DramaMy Rating - 8/10
IMDB

Shows you some things about the life of a maid and she is one hell of a character.


Police, Adjective
Crime/Drama
My Rating - 10/10
IMDB

In my top 10 of 2009.


Enter the Void
Drama/Fantasy
My Rating - 9/10
IMDB

In my top 10 of 2009.


Best Worst Movie
Documentary
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

I watched Troll 2 (which I had obviously heard about already) on the same day as this. It shows you how it all started, everything about the makers and actors of the film and of course the fans.



A Woman's Way
Drama
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

This one might surprise you. A partly original story with first-class acting, another surprise from Greece after Dogtooth.


The Execution of P
Crime/Drama
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

Nothing much you can say about this without giving anything away. Starts off like any other film but then Peping takes a job, which changes everything. The director Brillante Mendoza made something so simple into something haunting.


The Wind Journeys
Drama/Music
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

What a journey! Beautiful landscapes and a true friendship is born. The battle scene with the accordions is so impressive.


No One Knows About Persian Cats
Drama
My Rating - 7/10
IMDB

A risky film to make, it's definitely informative and will most likely show you some things that you didn't know and it has some decent music in it too.


Air Doll
Drama/Fantasy
My Rating - 7/10
IMDB

The premise might not seem like anything special but it builds up to way more, the director Hirokazu Koreeda portrays lonelinesss, prostitution and other subjects in a somewhat surreal way. The visuals are perfect, as usual.


In the Beginning
Drama
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

This is a true story, which makes it all a little bit more intriguing. Decent actors, I already knew Emmanuelle Devos from Read My Lips (another fantastic film).
 

Which Way Home
Documentary
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

This obviously reminded me of this years Sin Nombre but in this documentary you get to see how it is in reality, which is much more interesting. To some people it might even seem unbelievable that this is actually happening.


Dancing with the Devil
Documentary
My Rating - 7/10
IMDB

A very good documentary about the drug war in Rio de Janeiro. Shows you the side of the cops and the drug dealers.


City of Life and Death
Drama/History/War
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

This would easily go into my favorite war film list if I had one, it's an important film.


Be Sure to Share
Drama
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

In my top 10 of 2009.


A Brand New Life
Drama
My Rating - 7/10
IMDB

This is a really, really beautiful and honest film about orphans but it's downright sad. Words can't describe what I felt while watching the scene in the picture below.


At the End of Daybreak
Drama
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

The plot might not seem like anything too complicated but the characters play the key role, it's well worth studying them. It will all make more sense afterwards.


Fish Story
Comedy
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

In my top 10 of 2009.


A Town Called Panic
Animation/Adventure/Comedy
My Rating - 7/10
IMDB

If you have a clogged head than this should help. I did not however find it funny, maybe a little bit amusing. It's just a really fun adventure.


Night and Fog
Animation/Adventure/Comedy
My Rating - 8/10
IMDB

I watched Ip Man the same day as this and coincidentally both films star Simon Yam (the husband) but the character in this one is of course something completely else, it's all way more complex. All of the actors did an amazing job though. This is one of the most realstic films about domestic violence that I have seen, which is scary in a way. Even though the film starts at the end, it's still very engaging and that's not something you can achieve easily.


Lourdes
Drama
My Rating - 7/10
IMDB

Well, this film is quite something. Enigmatic for sure, it gives you an interesting view on catholicism.


Castaway on the Moon
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

This film explores human connection in a witty way, the whole idea is brilliant. Thankfully there's a lot of comedic moments, otherwise it might get too dark although the scenes are mostly shot at day so the tone of the whole film is bright enough anyway.


Like You Know It All
Drama
My Rating - 10/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2009.


Halfway
Drama/Romance
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

This is a sweet, relaxed and believable high school romance film. It has some beautiful shots taken in autumn. Shunji Iwai (Swallowtail Butterfly, All About Lily Chou-Chou) was involved in the screenplay.


The Actresses
Drama/Comedy
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

There's some really insightful things said in this film. The fact that it's shot in a documentary style helps the realism of course. My favorite moment is probably when they all sit down around the table close to the end and start talking, the dialogues seem pretty authentic.


Love in Another Language
Drama/Romance
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

A special film about a rather unusual relationship, it's sweet and the message is also important.


Hear Me
Romance/Comedy
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

What a strange coincidence, just like in Love in Another Language, this film is also about a couple where one of the partners is deaf, but the other way around. This one is a lot lighter though but also very enjoyable. I love those silent moments where both of them comminucate with sign language only, they did an amazing job.


A Good Rain Knows
Drama/Romance
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

Although the story is simple, this lovely film managed to win me over with its charming and natural style and characters.


Symbol
Comedy/Fantasy
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

Strange, witty and most importantly it's a joy to watch.


Parade
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

Starts off like any other film and basically continues the same way but the ending connects the dots, which is what made me love it.


Wedding in Bessarabia
Comedy
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

Besides being cute and lovely, it's also informative, which is always a good thing.


Kimjongilia
Documentary
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

If you want to know more about the people who have escaped from North Korea and stories of how it is inside than this is it a great choice. It doesn't get into anyhting else though, it's quite short.


I Killed My Mother
Biography/Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

I wanted to see this for a few months now and it was just what I expected. I think that many people will be able to relate to this film. I'm talking about Xavier Dolan, the director and actor of the film, it's based on his life.


Face
Comedy/Drama
My Rating - 10/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2009.


Visitors
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

I only watched this because of Hong Sang-Soo and of course his short film turned out to be my favorite one of the three although the ending of the first one is quite beautiful too.


Taipei 24H
Comedy/Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

I was curious to see Lee Kang-Sheng's short film and I did not even know that Tsai Ming-Liang (my favorite director) acts in it but it's no surprise seeing as they always work together. It's the closing short film of the 8 featured ones. I enjoyed it as much as the fifth one called Smoke.


Last Train Home
Documentary/Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

That's life in China for a lot of people, nothing much new there in that sense but a very well-done drama.


Miss Kicki
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

Same old story with a different cast but still enjoyable.


Eastern Plays
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

I had to watch this after viewing Kamen Kalev's The Island, this is his first feature film. The cinematography in this one is even better. I absolutely love how he gets into these important issues about life, especially the part where Zeynep (Saadet Aksoy) talks about how people are robots.


Yang Yang
Drama
My Rating - 9/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2009.


I'm Glad My Mother Is Alive
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

Mother, I Killed My Mother and now I'm Glad My Mother Is Alive. Of course those films are unrelated although the titles might seem a bit ironic if you've seen all three of them. It took me by surprise, supposedly this is based on real events.


Mademoiselle Chambon
Drama/Romance
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

At first I had the feeling that I had seen this film already, I suppose that it's because I've seen the actors in other films before and it's not exactly a very original tale of love and family but I don't mind that because of the gentle way it's presented.


Plan B
Comedy/Drama/Romance
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

Believable romance not full of clichés, beautifully shot scenes.


Everyone Else
Drama/Romance
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

I decided to give this a chance because of Maren Ade's The Forest for the Trees from 2003. I just wish that somebody else played the role of Gitti, there's something about the actress that I can't stand. The film itself is excellent though, not just another dull relationship.


Sweetgrass
Documentary/Adventure
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

What a fantastic documentary. Just sit back and relax, let it flow.


Making Plans for Lena
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

The settings remind me of some of Eric Rohmer's work, also laid back like many of his films.



Daddy Longlegs
Comedy/Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2009.


The Other Bank
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

An interesting journey, I love the bleak look.


Dooman River
Drama
My Rating - 8/10

IMDB

In my top 10 of 2009.



The Exploding Girl
Drama
My Rating - 7/10

IMDB

Just another cute little independant film.


No comments:

Post a Comment