Thursday 6 May 2010

The Top 10 Movies of 2009


Last Updated - August 17, 2012.

Here's my full list of the best movies of 2009.

10
Dooman River

This reminds me a lot of Winter Butterfly, which is a film with a quite similar story but Dooman River is in many ways superior. Thankfully it doesn't have to rely on its story as much because of the other attractive features such as the spellbinding cinematography.



9
Daddy Longlegs

I watched Joshua Safdie's The Pleasure of Being Robbed yesterday evening so this morning I decided to watch his next film Daddy Longlegs aka Go Get Some Rosemary. A genuine little experiment, this one might stick with you for a while.



8
Tony

It's depressing and shows the grim side of London. If you're into anything serial killer related at all than you have to see this.


7
Fish Story

This film has one of the most well structured plots that I've had the pleasure to watch. Some of the characters are really quite charismatic and some not so much, a good balance I suppose.



6
Be Sure to Share

This stunning film was directed by Shion Sono who you might also know from Suicide Club and Love Exposure but don't expect anything like those two titles. This is one has no blood or anything of that sort, it's simpler but very inspirational and moving. Great cinematography, I especially love the bench scene near the end. The acting by the whole cast is superb.


5
Enter the Void

This is something else. It's a real film experience, even if you won't like it, you will most likely still remember it for years after. I was thinking about it for days after I saw it until I decided to put it in my top 10 as I wasn't sure what to think of at first. I went into something like a trance while watching it, only an hour later when reading about the film I realised that it's around 2 hours and 30 minutes long. I just couldn't believe it but there's also another version of it, which is shorter but as I understand it's not the right version and the film ends differently. You can take it any way you want, there's more than one meaning to it.


4
Yang Yang

Pretty much the best camera work of the year, not necessary unique but usually there's special scenes in films, which are hard to forget whereas here they pulled it off throughout the whole film.


3
Like You Know It All

There's too much I want to say about this film but I don't think that there's much of a point. It's not a unique film but I do feel like there's more complexity to it than meets the eye, at least I got a lot out of it. It's directed by the gifted Hong Sang-Soo, if you like this than you should definitely check out more of his work. It's a film worth analyzing, at least to a certain degree. The dialogues are what make this film so impressive to me, they are profound, yet subtle, just like the whole film. Just give it a shot.


2
Police, Adjective

This must be one of the most well written things I've seen, I cannot get it out of my head. The characters might seem a little bit obscure if you don't pay good attention to their actions but for a cinema enthusiast this will be a joy ride. The dialogues are top notch, entertaining and humorous or even hilarious at points. When you see something like this it just makes it all worth it. Thank you very much, Corneliu Porumboiu. If you like this than I strongly recommend watching his previous film, 12:08 East of Bucharest.


1
Face

This is the second Tsai Ming-Liang film I saw. Now after having seen all of his films I watched it again and I can fully appreciate it. It explores the myth of Salomé, I still don't know much about it and I don't think that it matters. Seeing and feeling the connection between other Tsai films is enough for me. As always Lee Kang-Sheng plays a big part but there's also other familiar faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment